JOB TITLE: Development Assistant
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Development
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Development Assistant will support the activities of the Vice President for Development and the Development Department as a whole. This position requires upbeat interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail, an excellent work ethic, energetic problem-solving skills, and excellent organizational capabilities.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
This individual works with the Vice President for Development to organize and support the fundraising efforts, events, and additional activities of the Development Department at the New-York Historical Society.
Specific duties include the following:
- Provides day-to-day administrative support to the Vice President for Development
- Manages VP for Development’s calendar, email organization, and timesheet submission to HR
- Manages electronic and hard copy files
- Transforms handwritten notes into finished letters and other documents
- Manages follow-up to correspondence and meetings
- Coordinates and prepares materials for meetings
- Assists with department events
- Tracks department expenses, corporate credit card statements, and the submission of invoices to the Finance Department
- Provides support to other members of the Development Team and takes care of office suite needs (e.g. replenishing stationary and supplies)
- Covers the desk and phone line of the President and CEO’s assistant as requested
- Undertakes any and all other tasks as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Cheerful and helpful manner
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel and Powerpoint. Database experience preferred (Altru, Raiser’s Edge)
- A self-motivated learner
- Detail-oriented with high standards for accuracy
- An enthusiasm for museum development work and a desire to take on challenges
- 1-2 years related work experience
- Interest in the humanities and the arts
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer