Library Page (PT)
JOB TITLE: Library Page (Part-Time)
REPORTS TO: Director of Library Operations & Curator for Printed Collections
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
Reporting to the Director of Library Operations & Curator for Printed Collections, the successful candidate will work in support of the professional library staff in the reading room of a busy, closed-stacks research library.
This is a permanent, year-round position.
Library Pages are expected to work between 18 to 21 hours per week, worked between:
- 9:45 AM and 4:45 PM, Tuesday through Friday year-round
- 9:45 AM and 4:45 PM, Saturdays between Labor Day and Memorial Day
Hours must be on a consistent schedule and cannot be adjusted from week to week.
- Greet, register, and review guidelines with arriving researchers
- Introduce researchers to the library catalog
- Monitor researchers and their use of collections
- Locate, deliver, and re-shelve a variety of library collections including books, newspapers, maps, manuscripts, photographs, and architectural drawings
- Make photocopies and assist researchers with microfilm
- Additional projects as assigned
- Commitment to working with the public
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and ability to complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner
- Capable of re-filing and re-shelving collections in accordance with an alphanumeric system
- Able to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team and on independent projects
- Reliability and dedication
- B.A. or current enrollment in an undergraduate degree program.
- Prior experience in a library or with the public; interest in New York and American history
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position requires frequent lifting and carrying of library materials (up to 25 lbs); pushing and pulling of book carts; and frequent stooping and reaching.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.