Visitor Services Associate (PT)
JOB TITLE: Visitor Services Associate
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking part-time Visitor Services Associates for its Visitor Services department. Visitor Services Associates staff the Society’s admissions and membership desk, coat check, auditorium, switchboard and call center in addition to other related tasks. Candidates must be available to work at least one weekend day per week plus Holidays.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelors degree in a related field is preferred.
COMPENSATION: The pay rate for this position is $15/hour.
- 1 year customer service/cashier experience, preferably in a museum/arts setting
- Computer skills
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- High level of verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with customers, coworkers and vendors with an outgoing positive attitude
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Selling museum admissions and memberships
- Accurate maintenance of cash drawer during their shift
- Attending and operating the coat room
- Processing guests who have meetings with Historical Society staff
- Answering the Society’s main switchboard phone and accurately transferring calls
- Distributing assistive listening devices other exhibition aids related to ADA accessibility
- Stocking and maintaining the staff coffee machine
- Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may be required to stand or sit for extended periods of time and lift objects over their head.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer