Visitor Services Supervisor
JOB TITLE: Visitor Services Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The New-York Historical Society is seeking a supervisor for its visitor services department. The supervisor oversees New-York Historical’s admissions desk, coat check, switchboard, and call center. The workweek for this position is Wednesday through Sunday.
This position reports to the Director of Visitor Services and directly oversees 15 - 20 visitor services associates, carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and all applicable laws. Responsibilities include training and evaluating employee performance; planning, scheduling, and overseeing regular department work in consultation with the department director; addressing visitor complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One-to-two years museum/arts supervisory experience or related retail experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs/Drive; experience with retail and database software, especially Blackbaud Altru; basic graphic design/layout skills a plus
- Excellent problem solving, organization, leadership, and communication skills and familiarity with customer service best practices
- High level of verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with customers, employees, and volunteers with an outgoing positive attitude
- Effective presentation and training skills, with large or small groups
To perform this position successfully, the ideal applicant will:
- have cash handling experience and the ability to accurately account for all revenue on a daily/weekly/monthly basis including well-organized and prompt processing of all invoices and daily deposit reports
- be able to train associates in the areas of general procedures, register operations, current public programs, company policy, emergency procedures, and good customer service
- be able to ensure that cash register operations, cash handling, theft prevention, and inventory processes are carried out properly
- be able to develop and maintain good working relationships with all visitor services associates while setting and maintaining the necessary standards for a professional customer service team
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While the employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.