Accounts Payable and Receivable Associate
JOB TITLE: Accounts Payable and Receivable Associate
REPORTS TO: Controller
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Accounts Payable and Receivable Specialist will be responsible for the processing and maintaining all aspects of the AP/AR function. This role assists the Controller with AP/AR accounts reconciliations, AR/AR statistics reporting, and various research and analysis projects.
Perform in all aspects of accounts payable operation for all outgoing payments, including but not limited to:
- Review invoices or other supporting documentation for proper approval, coding and accuracy
- Maintain Vendor files (Including W-9’s, W-8 etc.)
- Ascertain payments requiring 1099 reporting
- Enter data into accounting software
- Prepare checks and distribute
- Maintain AP invoice files, including prior year records
- Prepare and issue payables reports to departments, as required
- Reconcile payables reports to general ledger
- Answer vendor or staff inquiries regarding status of payments
- Assist in annual audit of payables records
Perform in all aspects of accounts receivable operation for receivables and incoming payments, including but not limited to:
- Entering Receivable Invoices to be sent out to clients
- Depositing incoming checks, both by remote scanner and at physical branch
- Maintain cash collection and deposits / deposit worksheet with other departments
- Export data from Development / Visitor services software to Accounting Software
- Enter Cash Receipts / Journal entries
- Follow up with clients regarding collections of past due invoices
- Assist in annual audit of receivable records
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- One year of related work experience
- Bookkeeping skills, including understanding of traditional (debit and credit) bookkeeping systems
- Knowledge of EXCEL to intermediate level
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated with high energy level
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to recognize problems and develop solutions
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.