Audio Visual Assistant Manager
Job Title: Audio Visual Assistant Manager
Reports To: Director of Audio Visual
This position will assist the Director of AV and help manage technical operations related to audio/visual presentations at N-YHS.
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of a 400-seat film and live presentation space.
- Assist the AV Director and team with maintenance and service for all AV equipment.
- Be involved with the day-to-day operations of the AV Dept including scheduling and vendor management.
- Assist the AV Director with scheduling AV Technicians to cover events and daily operations.
- Manage the maintenance and testing schedule for all in house AV equipment and related services.
- Create exhibition gear protocol, including storage, service, content management and installation of all AV gear as it relates to permanent and temporary exhibits.
- Ensure efficient and cooperative communication with all staff members and clientele of the museum.
- Operate a successful AV platform as it relates to the historical mission of N-YHS, within the museum / library environment.
This is a managerial position and a hands-on position where the expectation is to both manage the work and do the work. While N-YHS will provide sufficient support and training, it is expected that this person possess a pro-active, eager mindset. Must be professional in all verbal and written communications and stay informed of the latest information technology and AV technology. Additional mid-level management in art, education or music arenas is a plus. Position will require evening and weekend hours.
- Manage all audio visual technical needs at N-YHS
- Supervise 4-8 Audio Visual Technicians and casual labor as required
- Overall responsibility that all audio visual presentations run as planned
- Liaise with incoming users to determine requirements
- Maintain equipment with staff and outside vendors
- Schedule and supervise load ins, presentations and load outs.
- Assist Operations staff with lighting controls and management.
- Be the first point of on-site contact for special events and public programs
- Pre-emptively solve needs of clients based on internal AV systems knowledge
- Engage in creative problem solving with external vendors to achieve continuous exhibition gear success
- Be prepared to provide AV system design input when requested
- Coordinate operations with other departments including Maintenance, Public Programs, Security, Education and Special Events.
- Participate in all Logistics meetings and Event Coordination
- Manage electrical contractor work as required for AV and lighting work
- Create and manage exhibition gear protocol
- Other duties as requested
- Supervise AV Technical staff and vendors as required
- Ensure proper training of AV part time staff and freelance personnel
- Supervise exhibition gear and track use/maintenance logs
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- A minimum of 3-5 years supervisory experience in a producing or presentational venue
- Proven problem solving skills
- General knowledge of theatrical lighting, audio, rigging and video equipment
- Ability to operate lighting and audio consoles
Exhibition, AV and Corp events experience a plus
Essential Physical Functions
This is a physical job that includes the monitoring the installation and breakdown of technical equipment. Climbing ladders and using lifts are commonplace in this position.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Internal Candidates should contact a member of the Human Resource department directly.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer