JOB TITLE: Controller
REPORTS TO: Chief Finance Officer
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for organizing and directing the Finance Department’s day-to-day activities, month-end and fiscal year-end closing processes. Supervise a team of three staff members who process payroll, accounts payables and receivables, cash receipts and other financial transactions. This is a hands-on position that prepares and maintains complex Excel spreadsheets.
EDUCATION: CPA and/or MBA or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum seven years relevant experience, including staff supervision.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP for Not-For-Profits.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft and Google environment.
- Financial Edge experience or experience with other complex general ledger software of the same generation.
- Knowledge of payroll requirements and regulations (experience with ADP Workforce Now a plus)
- Knowledge of accounts payable legal requirements, including the 1099 process and the Abandoned and Unclaimed Funds Escheatment Process.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Collaborative team player, multi-tasker and flexible.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for maintenance of and staff training for general ledger software (Financial Edge) and its related modules, accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash receipts. In connection with this process oversee or supervise the structure and maintenance of chart of accounts and reporting formats generated by GL software.
- Responsible for/Supervise the co-ordination with other departments and third-party software packages that support transactions imported to or manually recorded in general ledger.
- Supervise three staff responsible for day-to-day, hands-on processing of ADP payroll, accounts payable and receivable, cash receipts and certain journal processes.
- Responsible for/Supervise monthly close out reconciliations and other close out processes, including balance sheet reconciliations, reconciliation of contributions and earned revenue, museum admissions and ticket sales to third-party software and merchandise sales to retail systems software.
- Responsible for the annual financial audit process and preparation of related statements, notes and supporting schedules.
- Responsible for the preparation of Forms 990, 990T, CHAR500 and other filings as required.
- Responsible for preparation of certain financial surveys and grant surveys, including Cultural Data Project, U.S. Department of Commerce surveys and other reports as requested.
- Work closely with Development Department for proper coding of gifts and reconciliation between departmental systems.
- Assist in financial management of travelling exhibition program.
- Co-ordinate with Human Resources for the audit of 403(b) plan and preparation of 5500 filing.
- Maintain endowment and investment records and entries to the general ledger.
- Responsible for/Supervise the distribution of monthly reports to staff and other reports as required.
- Project management for new implementation of system and process initiatives.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files (up to 25 pounds), open filing cabinets, and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer