Director of AV Operations
Job Title: Director of AV Operations
Reports To: V.P. Operations
This position will manage technical operations related to audio visual presentations at N-YHS.
- Oversees the technical operation of a 400 seat film and live presentation space. This includes the presentation of a taped orientation film which will play throughout the day. The space is also frequently used for lectures, musical and theater events, corporate events and other events. This person will have overall responsibility of the technical operations for all events.
- Will be involved with the audio, visual and technical aspects of the design and installation of exhibitions, as well as event planning, throughout the NYHS facility
- This person will manage the house AV systems and be responsible for scheduling all AV staff / Techs to cover those events and daily operations.
- Manage the maintenance and testing schedule for all in house AV equipment and related services.
This is a managerial position with a great deal of oversight. It is also a hands-on position where the expectation is to both manage the work and do the work. Position will require some evening and weekend hours.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- BFA in Technical Theater or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in a producing or presentational venue
- Proven problem solving skills
- General knowledge of theatrical lighting, audio, rigging and video equipment
- Ability to operate lighting and audio consoles
- ETCP Certification a plus
- Manage all audio visual technical needs at N-YHS
- Supervise 4-8 Audio Visual Technicians and casual labor as required
- Overall responsibility that all audio visual presentations run as planned
- Liaise with with incoming users to determine requirements
- Maintain equipment with staff and outside vendors
- Hire independent contractors as necessary
- Prepare and oversee rigging, lighting, audio and video equipments
- Schedule and supervise load ins, presentation and load outs.
- Manage budget
- Coordinate operations with other departments including Maintenance, Public Programs, Security, Education and Special Events.
- Work with the Exhibition department on their related audio and visual needs.
This position will supervise an AV Assistant Manager and 4-8 AV Technicians, casual labor, and outside contractors.
Essential Physical Functions
This is a physical job which includes the monitoring the installation and breakdown of technical equipment. Climbing ladders and using lifts are common place in this position.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Internal Candidates should contact a member of the Human Resource department directly.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer