Director of Membership
JOB TITLE: Director of Membership
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Development
The Director of Membership is responsible for leading New-York Historical’s membership program, with the goals of expanding the membership roster, further increasing revenue through continuous upgrades, and providing excellent stewardship in order to ensure rising renewal rates.
EDUCATION: BA or equivalent
- 10 years of Development experience in a non-profit organization
- Experience managing a large and dynamic membership program
- Experience overseeing annual fund mailing appeals
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Excellent database skills
- Experience managing staff
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
This individual works closely with the Vice President for Development and other key development and museum staff to coordinate efforts that will lead to increased support for New-York Historical. The Director of Membership is responsible for meeting the organization’s annual Membership revenue goal ($1.28 million in FY18). Specific duties include the following:
- Develop and implement annual fundraising strategies including renewal, acquisition, and upgrade campaigns for the general membership program (members contributing $75-$2,500/approximately 9,000 households).
- Focus particular attention on the Benefactor and Gotham Fellow levels to maximize retention, upgrades, and new acquisitions at those levels.
- Manage messaging to current and prospective members across multiple communication platforms.
- Make data driven decisions regarding acquisition/retention techniques and cultivation strategies.
- Devise and execute membership cultivation and stewardship events and other activities for the purpose of both general retention and membership upgrades.
- Devise and execute promotional strategies to acquire new members and re-enlist lapsed members.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications department to produce printed brochures and other materials.
- Monitor the success of various levels of membership and suggest adjustments to dues levels, benefits, etc.
- Supervise one full-time Development Associate who assists with membership data entry, acknowledgments, solicitations, and calls.
- Help oversee the planning and successful execution of the summer Members Breakfast.
- Help oversee the planning and successful execution of the fall Thanksgiving Eve Family Celebration.
- Help oversee the planning and successful execution of any other membership events that may be established.
- Manage the winter and spring annual fund appeals.
- Create strategies to grow the annual giving program.
Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer