Special Events Manager
JOB TITLE: Special Events Manager
DEPARTMENT: Special Events
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Events
, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Special Events Manager will be responsible for interacting with clients and vendors and managing event logistics from initial inquiry through completion. This person must be flexible, have the ability to multi-task, and work well in both a team environment and as an individual. A proactive nature, the ability to think creatively, and the ambition to learn and grow are important. The availability to work nights and weekends is essential. This position will manage the Special Events Associate.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
Three (3) or more years of event operations experience, preferably in a museum or cultural center. One (1) or more years of event sales experience.
- Confidence to speak with clients and vendors
- Understanding of customer service
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to problem solve
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Mail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Assist with generating marketing and sales initiatives
- Organize and manage the Special Events’ “Master Client” list and General Guidelines in order to increase efficiency
- Prepare event proposals, contracts and invoices for N-YHS clients
- Field phone calls and e-mails related to event inquiries
- Oversee N-YHS event rental email inbox to ensure that all incoming inquiries are receiving information in a timely manner
- Source and cultivate new client relationships on an ongoing basis
- Work closely with N-YHS’ exclusive caterer and other vendors to make sure that needs/deadlines are met and schedules are accommodated
- Conduct sales and operations site visits
- Draft memos to Museum colleagues in an effort to communicate event details and staffing requirements
- Interact with other Museum departments to reserve event space
- Work events (many include nights and some weekends)
- Help the Director of Special Events and Development staff in the execution of Development events (Opening Receptions, Member Events, etc.)
- Additional duties as requested
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift, bend, stoop, walk and stand for 4-6 hours daily. Occasional sedentary computer work required
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Internal Candidates should contact a member of the Human Resource department directly.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer