JOB TITLE: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
The Staff Accountant reports and works closely with the Controller to ensure compliance with GAAP and will be responsible for performing a variety of activities associated with the Society’s internal controls and policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Maintain the Chart of Accounts by adding new Project/Account codes as needed; update Internal and Accounting System Chart Organizers
- Prepare journal entries; adjusting and recurring entries as needed
- Record Cash Receipts for all incoming deposits of checks, wire transfers and EFT’s
- Prepare revenue worksheets for Admissions, Membership sales, the N-YHS store, Education tours/programs, and other revenue recognition schedules on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly Bank Reconciliations
- Reconcile all appropriate balance sheet/revenue accounts (credit card merchant accounts, PayPal, etc.) in preparation for month-end and year-end closing
- Act as an initial Accounts Payable Coordinator/Payroll Specialist back-up as needed
- Run monthly budget vs. actual reports /financial statement reports/general ledger reports for departmental distribution
- Assist Controller with ongoing projects, update processes and new system implementations
- Assist with year-end audit fieldwork, annual financial statements and audit supplemental materials
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 1-3 years of accounting experience, preferably working in the not-for-profit environment
Solid understanding of traditional (debit and credit) bookkeeping systems and GAAP
Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word
Experience with systems implementations and integrations
Excellent written and communication skills
Self-motivated with high energy level
Ability to recognize problems and develop solutions
Strong time management and multitasking skills; can handle multiple responsibilities and projects with competing priorities and deadlines
Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge or similar platform is desired
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer