Visitor Service Associate for Harry Potter Exhibit – Part Time (Temporary/Seasonal)
JOB TITLE: Visitor Service Associate for Harry Potter Exhibit – Part Time (Temporary/Seasonal)
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
From October 5, 2018 through January 27, 2019, Harry Potter: A History of Magic will be on display at the New-York Historical Society. The timed-entry exhibition is already expecting large crowds. To help ensure crowd control and positive visitor experience is maintained during the exhibition run, the New-York Historical Society will hire additional seasonal Visitor Service Associates.
Seasonal Visitor Services Associates help staff the Society’s admissions, membership desk, and coat check. They will also assist in checking exhibition tickets and managing crowd control, in addition to other related tasks.
Candidates must be available to work at least one weekend day per week plus Holidays.
This temporary position is expected to begin on October 1, 2018 and end on January 27, 2019.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelors degree in a related field is preferred.
COMPENSATION: The pay rate for this position is $15/hour.
- 1 year customer service/cashier experience, preferably in a museum/arts setting
- Computer skills
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- High level of verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with customers, coworkers and vendors with an outgoing positive attitude
- Experience with crowd control is preferred
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Checking and visitors’ timed-entry tickets for the Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition
- Helping maintain crowd control by correctly directing visitors and providing clear instructions to large groups of visitors
- Selling museum admissions and memberships
- Accurate maintenance of cash drawer during their shift
- Attending and operating the coat room
- Processing guests who have meetings with Historical Society staff
- Distributing assistive listening devices other exhibition aids related to ADA accessibility
- Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may be required to stand or sit for extended periods of time, sometimes outside, and lift objects (no more than 10-15 lbs.) over their head.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title, including the word “seasonal,” in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer